Our great Namibia roadtrip

Namibia has long been a place to visit on my bucket list. All our travel arrangements were made through Lilly at Cardboard Travel Shop based in Namibia. Day 1: We arrived in Windhoek on the 9th. Collected our Hyundai IX35 from Avis.  It had only 60 odd km on the odometer. Namibia is fairly easy to navigate without a GPS despite there being a lack of road signs. The landscape changes dramatically as we drove north from Windhoek on the B1 towards Waterberg. Our first stop was at Erindi Game Reserve. When we turned off the main road it seemed to take forever to get to the main gate of reserve. Some road signs on how many km to the gate would have been brilliant. Once inside the reserve you are warned not to get out of the car, as there are wild animals roaming freely. The lodge was not as luxury as made out on the website but very comfortable with beautiful views. The restaurant overlooks a water hole which attracts a fair amount of activity. We sighted cros, family of elephants, giraffe, snakes, warthogs, guinea fowl, orynx, baboons and lots of different bird species.

Day 2: Continued driving north on the B1 then west on the C39. Arrived at Vingerklip lodge in the afternoon. As we approached the lodge I spotted a room up on the cliff and wondered if that is where we were going to the spend the night. The main lodge and rooms are spread out on the hillside. Literally a 10minute strenuous walk up to our room, the Heaven’s Gate Honeymoon suite. Secluded with awesome views.  Chef Benjamin at the Eagles Nest restaurant is a braai (bbq) master cooking lamb, kudu, pork and beef for supper. One of the best braais ever. Before sunset we hiked to the Vingerklip formation. “35m high pillar of sedimentary rock, the Vingerklip, (Finger Rock) is one of the most impressive rock formations in Namibia. It stands proudly above a valley, known as the Ugab terraces”

Day 3: Continued on the C39 heading to Doro Nawas Camp. After Khorixas the road is gravel all the way. Stopped at the Petrified Forests which isn’t a forest at all. It wasn’t what I expected but amazing nonetheless. ” In prehistoric times huge tree trunks were washed down a river and deposited in alluvial sands. As they were isolated from any air, a process known as diagenesis took place and as a result sand that came under pressure through sedimentation turned into sandstone. The tree trunks underwent another process known as silicification which causes liquids that seep into the wood causes the organic materials of the wood to dissolve and be replaced by silicic acid, fossilizing the wood by transforming it into stone. This an extremely slow process and the end product is called ‘wooden opal’ as only the inner parts of the tree trunks became petrified, and an exact replica of every cell of each tree trunk was created. The petrified wood dates back to the Permian period, and about 200,000 years has passed since they first were washed down the ancient rivers. Erosion has exposed many of the logs that can be seen today and many broken pieced were left lying around in an area of about 65ha. There are at least 2 fully exposed trees that measure up to 45m, even though the trunks are broken into chunks of about 2m.”

Great reception at Doro Nawas. Friendly helpful staff. We did a game drive with ranger Michael. Drove through dry river beds in search of the Rosie herd of desert elephants. The landscape turned from flat gravel, to sandy river beds, to sand dunes across from rocky mountain and grasslands. We found the elephants just in time for sundowners.